Sunday, 16 November 2008

Week 6: Maya Update

So I thought I better post some images of how my Maya modeling is going now were at the end of week 6. I've taken a few screen shots (why on earth did they teach us to say screen dumps in secondary school???) 

Anyway, heres a look at some of the buildings and street extras I've been making. I've gone through a list made by Dan of some of the extras he thought would be in the scene such as street signs. These and made a few which can be duplicated, destroyed in different ways and dotted around the scene.

Street life: an alternative street lamp, 2 example road signs, rubbish bin, can, drain. O, and that curly wurly thing, was an experiment I was doing with polys, might make a good sign bracket or help with debris on the street floor?

One end of the street: My first building was the one on the far right and from this first exercise I decided to bring down the amount of detail I put into my buildings but still make them different and interesting looking. I've tried to recreate the mix of heights, widths and architectural details London is known for but put my own spin on mix of designs. Destruction of this has begun to occur but needs completion after I have finished modeling my section.

Come on down to the other side: Here you can see where my modeling is certainly not finished but my houses are mapped out ready for extra details to be added such as doors, windows and extra frame work or any architectural detail I feel is necessary. Again destruction needs to be shown but only after the models are complete.

Overall, Im very pleased with how my section is looking and I feel with some extra details I'll be well on the way to creating part of a lived in environment. 
My only concern at this stage is the amount of time left to completing my section. Im not sure how it happened, but my section seems to be a bigger section. Im trying very hard to complete it on time and to a good standard but I have voiced my concerns of completion to some of the group members and next weeks group meeting we shall discuss shuffling about tasks so that the project doesn't become hindered as the next stages of texturing and animation need to begin. 
I feel I've become a lot more familiar and creative with my use of modeling in Maya and feel this will continue with further practice. 

3 comments:

Dan Grigsby said...

Ah nice job! I pleased you added detail in your remaining buildings, my idea of modelling just a destroyed block seemed a bit lame. Hope you've enjoyed doing this, it seems like you have ;)

Matt said...

Gonna need a copy of those signs and lamps posts for the floorplan.

-M said...

Looks good so far. Could the curly wurly thing stand in as a column if you enlarged it some?