Thursday, 30 October 2008

Maya Schmaya


So I've been testing out some nurbs modeling, only basic stuff but I thought I'd post it up here anyway. Im not sure if I'll end up modeling the final in nurbs or stick with polys? Perhaps a mixture of both...who knows. Anyway heres a screen shot of some columns based on ones photographed up ye olde London town.

From left to right, original nurbs column modeled using the CV curve tool, then converted to polys and finally smoothed:



And as if that wasn't enough to blow your mind (haha) I've completed a basic model and rig of a spider we want to incorporate in our project. The model is basically the same as the one in the Tate exhibition, and from modelling it I can tell it will need developing. As you can see from the screen shot, the rig has affected the body of the creature as its started to bend at the corners. We'd either have to paint weights or change the model to give space round the joints which would save us painting weights. At this stage in the project, I'm sure we dont want to be losing time on the animation modelling when we could be working on the environment. I shall show the team my work and we can develop the design further. From doing this test I can also say without a doubt I do not wish to animate a creature with 6 legs! Im still learning a bipedal walk cycle so this is just putting unnessessary pressure on us. I would suggest the creature having no more than 4 legs. This will still allow for creative animation but not hinder the project. We will therefore need to research 4 legged walk cycles and do further testing from there. Overall a very worth while experiment and Im pleased with my findings.

No comments: